Friday, May 10, 2013

How to use up your old Singapore coins

In case you have not heard, the MAS will be phasing out the old coins and replacing them with the ones shown above. While depositing them into the bank would be one option, I think there might be a small charge on the total amount deposited (I could be wrong). I did think of giving away to kids on flag day but I realise this sight of physical money makes me more attached to it and reluctant to give it away. Perhaps I should withdraw my salary and pay everything in cash, I would save more.

As such, I have brought about SGD 80 worth of coins to the office, hoping to use them when possible. The dollar and 50 cents coin will be easy to use up but less so the 20, 10 and 5 cents denominations. Tentatively, my strategy to deal with this would be to pair every 2 dollar note with up to 1 dollar worth of coin. I know this sounds a bit crazy, but when you do realise how much coins you can accumulate, you will start becoming more conscious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment